Saturday, January 9, 2010

I Want To Pitch Like.............Me!


I've been around baseball my entire life, and one of the biggest problems I have seen, is coaches trying to get their pitchers to throw a certain style, i.e., "Throw over the top." Many coaches want their kids to throw over the top, and feel if anyone on their staff doesn't, then that kid is throwing wrong and needs to change. This could not be further from the truth. It is important, as a coach or father, to let your sons arm do what it wants to do naturally. If you want to see your sons arm slot, have him throw long toss. Warm up, and then get him out to around 100-120 feet, and his arm will do what it naturally wants to do. If I throw with a kid, and he throws the baseball from a low 3/4 arm angle when we are at 120 feet, that is where his arm slot belongs. When a pitcher is forced to throw a certain way, and that way does not agree with what his arm wants to do biomechanically, he is most certainly on his way to arm injury. Keep this in mind...I cannot be Bob Gibson, Roy Halladay, or Cy Young...But I can be the best Chris Kurtz I can possibley be. Allow your pitcher (or son) to be the best he can be, and allow his body to do what it wants to do, naturally. If you allow him to be him, he will reach HIS maximum potential, and that is all you can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment